Friday, April 11, 2008

I needed to share, just not with the MySpace world...

I had once said that I didn't expect to abandon this blog just because I was getting a MySpace account, but that seems to have been an unintentional lie. I don't post here anymore really, and I think it is because everyone I know basically has a MySpace account, and so it gets more attention. I still think of this site, but I spend so much time messing with my MySpace account that I end up having no interest or time to devote here. I am making a post now...well just for the hell of it, I suppose. I am sad, and maybe I didn't want to share it with everyone on MySpace. I took our dog to the Animal Shelter today. I couldn't, nor did I want to, take care of him anymore. I thought it would be a big relief, and so I was surprised at how emotional I became when I left him. It was ,though, the right thing do. I couldn't control him, and neither could my husband. He didn't listen, was hyper beyond words at times, was so costly medical-wise, and, I was afraid, becoming a liability. For example, a couple of nights ago he bolted outside to chase a raccoon before Dave had a chance to get the leash on him, left the property (again) after ignoring Dave's command for him to return, and didn't return until 5 am. My biggest concern was that someone would get hurt driving their car just to avoid hitting him should he have been in the road. He has run-off like that countless times, and that was always my fear. I tried to be responsible about taking him today to the shelter. I called and let his veterinarian's office know so that they could keep his records should he be placed with someone. I informed the shelter of who his vet. is, and they said they would just send for his records. I disclosed all of his allergy problems, and told them he was hard to control, and needs an owner with a lot of time and money because he will be a real commitment (he needs to go to the vet's every two weeks for an injection to manage his allergies). I told of his good points, too. Good with kids, house-broken. If anyone is reading this and passing judgement, try not to be too harsh. I want to point out that we tried to make it work for 2 and a half years with him. It is not as if we had him for a couple of months, and said, hey it's not working, and sent him packing. Also, we have spent close to a thousand dollars just trying to manage his allergies, and we didn't bail when faced with that. It just got to be too much. He has never listened and the recent running-off was what put us over the edge, and made us decide it was time to take him to the Shelter. I hope they find a good home for him. I really do.

1 comment:

Matt said...

It's sad to hear that you had to let him go, but it sounds like it's for the best. It's difficult enough to manage a hyper and spontaneous dog, but with the boys on top of that, it just makes sense. Any plans for other pets? I forget, did you have a cat too?

Anyway, I didn't realize you were focusing in the Myspace direction. I've been trying to keep away from Myspace myself. I've vowed to keep my Myspace profile from getting out of control like so many out there, but in the process I've alienated myself from it. The only people on there that aren't on Facebook are the Cleveland friends from when I worked at Old Navy. They're all barflies, which isn't really a niche that I fall into.

Anyway, I will have to check out your Myspace. I don't think I've logged in on there this month!